|The Triangular Album|
22 November 1968
30 May – 14 October 1968 EMI and Trident Studios, London
The Triangular Album is a 1968 double album released by The Rutles. It was only released in US. It's the US edition of the album The Rutles (The Shite Album) It goes down in record's records as the only record to be produced in a triangular shape, hence its title. Because of this no one has tried this because The Rutles did it.
In the late-60s, there was a large feeling of innovation. This is often considerd the peak of their innovationess. The group released this album, along with its many strange tracks, to a large audience.
DesignEditKevin Wongle was a record designer in London, and had designed the album's strange exterior. He took the infamous photos of the prefab four, and found them amazing to be around.
Originally, it was not planned to have the record be triangular. The earliest known prototype was in fact an octagon. It has been rumored that it was originally supposed to be white and more rounded, making it look like a circle. The image in the center of the record was originally one taken from a toilet bowel that the four looked down at. Another appeared to be a misshaped polygon, with the same image in the centre. This version actually would be on the market for at least three months, but it had to be redesigned to to large amount of complaints of missing parts of music. One other design was that of a rhombus, whilst another looked that of a trapezoid. The next-to-last version of the album was a triangle, but had an elongated tip, which lead to multiple stabbing incidents. Finally, the album was made in its correct triangular shape in time for October 1968.
When the album came out, it was an immense success. Many fans, including celebrity Tom Hanks, said that they "couldn't get enough of them." Fans also were shocked of the album's shape, because "most records were round." Many fans have reported rarely ever listening to it, because they "just watched it going around the record."
To this day, no one has ever attempted to make another Triangular Album, because the Rutles had done it, less that they had already done it, but simply because they had.
- We've Arrived! (And to Prove It We're Here)
- Let's Be Natural
- Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life
- Unfinished Words
- Another Day
- My Little Ukulele
- Doubleback Alley
- Don't Know Why
- Wild Bunny Rum Cake
- The Continuing Story of Hotel Will
- While My Piano Gently Screams
- Sadness Is A Cold Phaser Gun
- Bertha My Reindeer
- I'm So Awake
- Untitled (as of today)
- Apollo Squrrel
- Do Pass Me Pie
- Why Don't We Get Naked and Have A Special Hug In The Middle Of New York?
- My Pill
- Back In Guam
- Dear Patience
- Plastic Garlic
- Oo-Blah-Doe, Oo-Blah-Dee
- Death Day
- Bad News
- Mother Nature's Sun
- Everybody's Got Something To Show Except Me And My Chimpanzee
- Celibate Sadie
- Hunter Gatherer
- Bong, Bong, Bong
- Revelation 13
- Bunny Rum Cake
- Wry, Baby, Wry
- Revelation 2
- Shuffle Truffle
- Wakey Wakey!
- Good Afternoon
- Rutallica, whose cover is a parody of the rumoured design.
- The Rutles (album), an album that is not triangular and also included the spngs "Doubleback Alley" and "Cheese and Onions".
- Lunch, which sampled "Cheese and Onions", "Unfinished Words" and "Doubleback Alley".
- Yellow Submarine Sandwich Soundtrack, a compilation which also includes "Cheese and Onions".